Skip to main content

Word Salad



Once you see the signs of abuse, it's almost impossible to unsee them. I was recently party to a conversation between an abuser and someone confronting her intentionally vindictive behavior. The abuser simultaneously denied any wrongdoing, while also claiming she "forgot," because, you know, she's so busy and important, and also threw in a heaping dose of blame while calling everyone involved in the incident (except herself) liars. It was the all-you-can-eat buffet of word salad.

Word salad is when an abuser attempts to deny, blame, and deflect responsibility away from their abusive behavior. It's a form of gaslighting and manipulation designed to throw you off course. It's when you ask someone a direct question and they give you a five minute rant not answering your question.  In other words, they are lying liars caught in their lie. It's also used in reference to schizophrenics launching into a tirade of nonsensical words. For narcissists, psychopaths, and other cluster B personality disorders, word salad looks more like this. You ask them a question about their intentions regarding their bad behavior, and they get super defensive. They take whatever you said and twist it around to make it your fault. They will use a condescending or patronizing tone. They may pull a Jekyll and Hyde scenario and make you feel like you are suddenly talking to an entirely different person. They will accuse you of doing what they are guilty of doing. They will give you a thousand excuses, none of which have anything to do with what is actually going on. You will walk away feeling confused, thinking "What the hell just happened?"

If someone is trying to serve up some word salad, refuse. Stand your ground. Don't waste your energy trying to reason with them. Word salad is all the evidence you need to know you are dealing with a  disordered individual. Get the heck out of there while you still can. Do whatever you need to do to protect yourself and your loved ones from people like this.

I learned the hard way about trying to engage people who use word salad to deflect and blame. I was raised by parents who refused to take responsibility for their behavior, and doubled down on the emotional abuse whenever their behavior was challenged. As a child, their erratic behavior was scary, but dealing with them as an adult, they took word salad to such extremes that it became comical in a morose sort of way. Still, it's no fun to talk to people like this, and too much exposure will eventually wear you down. In the case of the person referenced above, measures will have to be taken to prevent from further abuse. Her decision to respond with word salad to a situation where a simple, humble "I'm sorry" could have fixed it now means getting half a dozen professionals involved with the issue in order to keep people safe from her.

As someone recovering from abuse, people like this are beyond exhausting to me. Even though I recognize the pattern for what it is, my brain fires off an extreme stress response. One minute of exposure to word salad can mean two to three days of recovery time for me. Long gone are the days where I would try to reason or argue with someone like this. I know better than to seek to be understood by someone who is pathologically incapable of taking responsibility for her actions. Even so, my previous response would have been to internalize it or try to brush it off. I would shoulder the stress or try to minimize the impact until an "unrelated" migraine or an upset stomach would make me sick. For me, it means being brutally honest with myself about when and how I am hurting, and actually stopping right then and there to take care of myself. I am learning to allow myself some extra grace while I deal with my stress responses out in the open. It can feel tedious. Often, I'd rather pretend that jerks don't hurt me. But they do. In the same way that a veteran can't help an extreme stress response to fireworks, I can't help how my body responds to toxic people. I can only try to avoid the explosives and offer myself a bit more grace and kindness instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are