Skip to main content

Fuck You and Your Platitudes


Oh, by the way. My birthday is coming up and I've decided my gift to myself this year is to swear more. It's one more way I'm going off script from allowing the expectations of others to control me. I mean, really. When someone is more worried about avoiding the word fuck than keeping their children away from sexual predators, that is some disordered thinking right there. I believe in the power of words, and I think the more words that are at someone's disposal, the better. If you've ever been abused or controlled by another human being, allowing yourself to use words that were once off limits are especially important.

Which brings me to why I absolutely fucking hate platitudes, and the insipid people who say them. Platitudes are the lowest form of human thought. They are the cockroaches of words. Is there really anything less emotionally shallow than offering an "everything will all work out," or "God is in control" when someone bares their soul to you? It's just awful. I mean, damn it. Some people have the emotional intelligence of a cucumber.

When people say things like, "time heals all wounds," or "forgive and forget," especially to anyone who has ever gone through an actual life experience, what they really mean is this. "I am an asshole who has zero capacity to encounter human emotion. It scares the shit out of me. Therefore, I am going to say something to make you go away before any of your reality gets on me and I have to think about unpleasant things." People who have nothing to offer but platitudes are running from their own pain. They are so terrified of real feelings, they go into Betty Crocker Robot mode. It's a defense mechanism. Feelings are threatening to them, and because they've numbed out all of theirs, all they have to offer anyone is a heap of steaming bullshit in the form of, "God never gives us more than we can handle."

The only proper response to a platitude is Fuck You. "After the storm the sun will shine." Fuck You.  "It could be worse." Fuck You. "God has a plan for you." Fuck you.

The proper response to anyone who shares a feeling, struggle, or any real thought or emotion is to listen. If you can't relate to someone's pain, a "that sucks" is a far more emotionally astute observation than, "just think how much worse other people have it." But of course, the people whose interest was piqued by the title of this post already know this. The ones who need to hear this the most are the ones who are too offended to read this. Isn't it interesting that the people who hide behind a platitude are the same ones who are scandalized in the presence of a "dirty" word?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are