Skip to main content

Boundaries


Wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in harmony? Wouldn't it be great if everyone respected one another as human beings? Wouldn't it be wonderful if every interaction with others stirred up feelings of warmth and connectedness instead of fear and dread? But alas, some people suck.

I used to think it was my own failure. As someone who was trained from an early age to take on the responsibility of my abusers, I accepted their lie that it was my fault that we didn't get along. I thought there was something wrong with me that they behaved the way they did. If I was really a kind, peace-loving person, I would be able to handle them with all the love and concern they demanded, but never reciprocated. Worse still, was when my parents got religious. It was then my obligation as their daughter to "obey" them and turn the other cheek, no matter what. No matter what.

It's no wonder I had to learn about boundaries as an adult. My parents never respected even the most basic ones of mine. Then they made it my fault when their lack of boundaries caused problems. If I created a boundary, they would double down to destroy it. When I was 12 and at an age where privacy should have been more respected, I started closing my bedroom door more often. My father took my bedroom door off the hinges, and my mother demanded to look at my developing body. Nice, huh? The driving message from my parents my entire life has been that my personhood does not matter, and that my basic feelings and needs do not deserve respect.

My parents are very, very angry with me because I now have boundaries. I mean, how dare I not allow them to abuse me any more? How inconsiderate of me. Going no contact was the best, healthiest, and most life-giving thing I ever did. And yet, letting go of guilt for the lack of boundaries of others has been a lifelong process.

I still struggle with feeling guilty when a relationship goes awry. Even when I did everything I could, aside from allowing myself to be abused, I feel the pang of responsibility for the brokenness. As someone who was raised by narcissists, I tended to attract people in my life who knew how to exploit me. Usually, they were older than me and had some sort of authority over me. Or at least, they thought they did. They were quick to pull me in to their way of doing things, which usually translated to me doing all the work and them taking all the credit.

As part of the deeper healing I've been doing the last couple years, I had to let go of anyone and everyone in my life who failed to respect my boundaries. I've had to root out any relationship where others didn't take responsibility for their own actions and behaviors. People who fail to respect boundaries are a huge trigger for me. From showing up unannounced, to blame shifting, to failing to respect that my feelings are not their feelings, I have found that any red flag means that that person is not a safe person for me.

Perhaps the biggest lesson in boundaries that I've had to learn is to let go of feeling responsible for the outcome. We can't all live in harmony, not because of my lack of effort, but because some people aren't pulling their own weight. I respect other people as human beings, but that does not mean I failed because other people choose not to respect me. Warm, connected feelings are earned, not made. And when I feel dread? That's my beautiful, honorable, God-given gift of discernment. I have chosen to let go of anyone who tries to shame me for their own failure to be a better person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are