Skip to main content

Teenagers


We are approaching a milestone in my house, where my oldest daughter is entering her teen years. Growing up, I was taught that teenagers were shifty, sneaky, untrustworthy, terrible, liars, cheaters, drunks, and sluts. In other words, my parents projected all their own bad behavior, along with a heaping dose of shame and judgement, onto the concept of what an adolescent is. When I was a teenager, if I was rebellious, it meant I was "bad." Yet for me, rebelling against my parents' constructs were most likely what saved me. It took a long time for me to deconstruct my normal teenage reactions to abusive people as not being "bad." Because of my parents' projections, I carried a lot of their shame. Yet, from my own experience, and from the experience of observing other teenagers, I knew they were wrong. Teenagers are not shameful people. They are beautiful, challenging, and complex, but not shameful. What's shameful is neglecting their need for love, safety, and belonging.

I've always liked teenagers more than toddlers, generally speaking. Unlike my parents, I have admiration and respect for the developmental stage in which young humans try to figure out who they are, and challenge themselves and others in what they believe. Teens are full of passion for life, push back on what's wrong with the world, and optimism for the potential to grow and change. They are learning how to express their increasingly complex emotions. I've had the opportunity to teach and mentor this age, and I think there is so much magic in the mind and heart of someone on the cusp of adulthood. Teenagers need the safety, nurturing, protection, boundaries, and wisdom that a healthy adult can provide, yet they are capable of soaring to astonishing heights of creativity and inspiration. It's a fascinating combination.

Of course, that's all good in theory. The reality of living with a teenager full of passion is that sometimes it burns up all the oxygen in the room. Enter my kid this morning, who had a "typical" teenager meltdown. For the last few days, she's been acting shockingly selfish and entitled. She's been indulging in self-pity and crankiness. She missed out on spending time with a friend because she was lazy about getting something important done. She's testing basic boundaries, and she was downright cruel to her siblings. When she acts this way, my own rage over the injustice of her behavior builds up. Plus, she was already cranked to ten this morning before I was out of bed and had my coffee. Ugh. If there's one thing I've learned about parenting, it's that the most difficult conflicts are always before coffee. Right now, I have a lot of my own childhood trauma unpacked and scattered about, and any kind of intensity can quickly escalate my poor CPTSD brain into overload. So needless to say, I don't have a lot of confidence in myself right now when it comes to handling other people's shit.

But then, something interesting happened. Rather than react to my own rage by taking it out on her, or trying to escape or internalize it, I shared it with her. I was livid that she would intentionally hurt someone in our family. I pointed out that I would be livid if someone hurt her, and I think she got it. My anger was righteous. After some clear consequences for her actions, and a very frank and direct conversation, she was given some time alone to sort herself out. And she did. She came back, legitimately changed for the better, and we had a long hug. 

I think a lot of parents worry about losing their children at this age. Their kid is suddenly acting very different from who they thought they were, and it's unsettling. I don't think there is such thing as losing a kid as a teenager. By the time they are teens, there is either a foundation of trust, or there isn't. My parents lost me at a young age, so by the time I became a teenager, they no longer had any say into my life. Looking back on my relationship with my kid, there are thousands of conversations and situations in which she was seen and heard in a way that I never, ever was when I was a kid. She knows that an instance of bad behavior is not an equivalent to being a bad person. Bad behavior is a temporary choice, not a life sentence.

In a way, I am looking forward to seeing what kind of mistakes my daughter makes in her teen years, so that I can show her the love and grace I never had. It's foreign ground to me, and yet it's what I know everyone's heart longs for- a soft place to land.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are