Skip to main content

The Empath - Narcissist Connection



I feel the feelings of those around me. I always have. If someone scrapes their knee, a tingle will shoot up my leg. I get headaches around anxious people. I get knots in my stomach around angry people. I completely short circuit around liars. I know what people are feeling, whether they are in the room or a thousand miles away. I am an empath.

I used to make a living at it, years ago. I put myself through college as a professional psychic. I could tell others where they had been emotionally, and where they were going. I had lots of repeat clientele. People feel validated when they know someone understands what they are feeling. My spidey-sense has been helpful in steering me toward kind, compassionate people, and away from jerks. It is a part of who I am, and I value being tuned in to others. The very best parts of me can be attributed to the fact that I feel and care deeply for others.

However, there is a dark side to feeling so much. It is difficult to turn it off. Toxic personalities are literally toxic to me- they make me physically ill. Also, it's common for empaths to be groomed by narcissists. Narcissists can't/don't/won't own their negative feelings, like guilt, shame, or remorse, so they push it on to the kind of people who absorb it for them. I was groomed since birth to absorb the toxic feelings of my narcissist parents. I am an overachiever at this. I recently realized that I was still holding on to guilt because when I was a baby, my cries made them angry. In my family, I wasn't allowed to have needs or feelings of my own because I was supposed to be tending to theirs.

With all my sensitivities, you'd think I'd choose a career path in social work, nursing, or human rights, where these skills are valued and appreciated.  Just kidding. I work in Hollywood. The only place with more malignant narcissists is Capitol Hill, but Hollywood narcissists know they are prettier. I am a sheep among wolves.

You'd think with all this awareness I could spot the patterns sooner. I often do, but then there are some people with whom I fall into an empath-narcissist pattern because it happens slowly over time. At first I have good boundaries, but over time things shift, and I feel myself taking on the emotional responsibility of the relationship. I've learned to step back and let go, for the sake of my health. Even so, I feel like a fool when I pull back and the relationship dies because the other person puts nothing into it. When an empath is no longer useful to the narcissist, she will be discarded.

Thankfully, I married a fellow empath. We've been playing a goofy game ever since we got married, where I will unexpectedly jump up and run off. My husband has to be quick to catch me. We play this at home and in public, at parties, and "serious" venues. Our kids get involved, chasing Mommy in circles through the living room, dining room, and kitchen. It's a little thing we do between us which, I've found, has been tremendously beneficial for my psychological health. When I run away, he chases after me. He will drop everything to go after me. He will catch me and gently guide me back to where we were. It's fun and silly, and it makes us laugh, but most of all, it makes me feel safe. It makes me feel wanted. As someone who grew up wholly unnoticed, it makes me feel seen.
Sometimes, it really is all in the thrill of the chase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are