Skip to main content

Real Family





All my life, I've felt like an orphan. My parents and brother are technically still alive, but have never been real family to me. After enduring years of emotional, psychological, sexual, and spiritual abuse, I made a decision in my early 30's to go no contact with them. In order to do so, I absorbed much of the blame. I wasn't strong enough to have "grace" for them. I wasn't patient enough to put up with them. I wasn't saintly enough to forgive them of faults they never admitted. It took a while for me to realize how much of a lie all that really was. Looking back, I was the only one who cared enough to put any effort into a relationship. It was entirely one sided, and I was expected to simply bear all of their mess with no expectation of receiving love or understanding in return. Well, fuck that.

As far back as I can remember, I have been looking for a real family.  Family that I could love, and also family that could love me back. I was the kid who made herself at home at her friends' houses and was never homesick at sleepovers. When I was a teenager, many of my friends had rocky relationships with their parents. It was expected. But then, their relationships got better, and mine didn't. I got used to the simple fact of not having an older parent figure that I could trust or talk to. It just didn't exist for me. Milestones came and went. It seemed everyone else got to have a parent they could talk to, who loved them unconditionally, but I had to accept that for me, it didn't, couldn't, and wasn't going to happen.

Because I went no contact, it was projected onto me that I didn't care about my family. My father went on a smear campaign to make sure everyone within his influence knew how terrible I was. My mother's self pity and passive-aggressive control tactics reinforced it. And yet, no contact is what made me realize just how much family matters to me. It is because I said no to abuse that I was able to stop the generational evils that infected my bloodline. It is because I went no contact with my abusers that my own children can grow up in a safe, loving, environment. I said no to abuse out of love for my family, not hate for them. I realized that the best way I could honor my abusive parents was to never let them hurt me or my children again.

We can't choose who we are born to, but we can choose who is real family. I used to think family was defined by who I chose to love. I used to think it was proper to strive to love my birth family without any expectation of love in return. But as life has proven to me over and over again, I am not a saint. More importantly, offering this kind of love to an abuser is only a recipe for more abuse. Even so, whether it is spiritual idealism or a product of growing up in an abusive environment, I am conditioned to love others without much expectation. The key factor for me in finding my real family is whether they can love me back.

Growing up, there was one person in my family whom I looked up to, and felt connected with. She meant the world to me. Even though I saw her maybe no more than a combined total of two or three weeks throughout my childhood, she made a profound and lasting impression on me. We lost touch for many years, for reasons related to the abuse, and just recently got back in touch. As wonderful as it was to have her back in my life, a new fear emerged. Who she was to me in my formative years had become so epic in my mind, that I was afraid I would be let down. I had put her on a pedestal, and I was content to keep my memory of her there for the child in me who so desperately needed a role model. As much as I longed to connect with my childhood hero, I worried. What if she was another person I was destined to love, but couldn't love me back? I couldn't bear the loss.

As someone who has acquired a shitload of strength and endurance from carrying the burdens of my family's dysfunction, it is most uncomfortable for me to admit that I am fragile, vulnerable, and in need of love. I have fought to grow into a place of health in my relationship with myself, my marriage, and with my young children, but to admit that I need love from anyone else is a wound not yet healed. But as wounded as I am, my heart longs for real family.

And then, she loved me back. None of us share the same blood, but the family I created was accepted and loved by the family she created. She had made similar choices, out of love, to say no to abuse. The toxic people we shared in common are long gone, but we have them to credit for bringing us together. Love won. Goodness prevailed. Redemption came. We can reclaim each other and stay safe from harm. Aside from my husband and children, she is the realest family I have. The way she has accepted me into her life makes me weep. I am worthy of family who loves me back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are