Skip to main content

Integration


Writing about the nature of abuse along with my own personal experience of it has been an extremely helpful tool for me to better integrate who I am. For a long time, I distracted myself from going there, knowing full well that when I did, it would be intense. Eventually, that strategy failed and I was left with no other healthy alternative than to face the big, hairy, purple monster head on. When I did face it head on, guess what? It was intense.

I had to do a lot of interior work to get to a place where I could be fully honest and present with the full impact of what happened and the damage that was done. In this full embrace I finally allowed myself to grieve on a level I previously thought was "too selfish" (my abusers' words, not mine) to do. I allowed myself to fully acknowledge a range and depth of feeling that was previously inaccessible. The paradox of pain and relief that go with this sort of work often overwhelms me in a way that requires literally all I have to sustain and keep going.

Those who have done this sort of work know what I'm talking about. It's hard, deep, soul-wrenching work. And yet, being an abuse survivor is just one part of who I am. By allowing "abuse survivor" to take center stage for a season, I am finally giving a voice and spotlight to what was previously relegated to the dusty backstage corners of my life. The part of me that was abused needs and deserves to be seen and nurtured so that it can be better integrated into the bigger part of who I am. But the abuse is not who I am. The wisdom, hard earned from the experience, points to who I am.

By giving this previously unintegrated part of myself a voice, I am reclaiming my sense of who I am, truly. Speaking up about being a victim of abuse is empowering. It releases me from the toxic shame that held me captive in my abusers' lies. It is cause for congratulations, not for smothering, judgment or pity.

People who have done this sort of interior work get it, and I am grateful to have some kick-ass mentors and supporters. Unfortunately, not many people have done such interior work, and the ones who don't get it really drag me down. I only have so much energy after battling my own demons, and I have very low tolerance for those who fail to battle theirs.

Some of the most frustrating people I have encountered in this process are those who minimize or deny their own stories, then feel threatened when I won't do the same. Equally exhausting are acquaintances who lurk on my blog without engaging me directly as the whole person I am. I am not my blog. I am a real person with a real name that is not "Abuse Survivor" in real life. My blog is one tool in my toolbox to better integrate my whole delicious self. It's inevitable that some who know me personally will use this voyeuristic window to snoop, and being the observer of human nature that I am, that doesn't bother me. It bothers me that anyone who knows me in real life would reduce me to an image formed solely from what is read here.

There are many other labels thrust upon me through life-choice or circumstance which fail to describe who I really am. Wife. Mom. Writer. Cat-lover. Abuse survivor is just another one of these labels. But it's an important one. It's a paradoxical one. It's one worthy of integrating more and more into the bigger story of my life.


Comments

  1. Love this!! <3 You are an incredible inspiration in ALL aspects of your amazing life. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate so much with your shared experiences. You help me find the words that don't come easy for me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are