Skip to main content

Trauma Bonding


As someone who experiences complex trauma from child abuse, it's frustrating when a friend, family member, or say, an entire political party, continues to stay with an abuser even when they know he's toxic. But I understand it.

Trauma bonding, also known as Stockholm Syndrome, happens when the negative experience of abuse becomes so great, the brain switches tactics, attempting to "go along" with the abuser at any cost. Voilà, it doesn't hurt as much any more. Trauma bonding often happens in long-term situations where there is no perceived escape, such as childhood abuse or when someone is held captive. Some victims of abuse are cowed into submission over repeated attacks, simply worn down to a point where they no longer can muster any resistance. It then seems easier to disappear into one's self, or dissociate, rather than take any action to get away. Others become agreeable, cooperative, and can even fall in love with their abuser as a form of self-protection. When others try to help them, they may attack the helpers and protect the abusers.

As a child, I had no choice but to go along with the program. My father would rage, my mother would excuse, my father would ignore, my mother would ignore, my father would rage, my mother would excuse, and so on. All I knew at the time was that my needs weren't being met, so I did what I could to meet them, either by myself, or by behaving as best as I could so that maybe they would see me. (They didn't.) As a child, I didn't understand that their lack of attention and/or negative attention was their fault, not mine. As a child, I felt guilty and responsible that I didn't have warm feelings toward my parents like the kids in TV shows, so I pretended I did. I was loyal to my parents, in spite of the abuse, because I thought the problem was my character flaw, not theirs. After all, that's what I was told. Add to the mix that I literally depended on them to survive, and I was stuck. In elementary school, I fantasized about running away. In middle school, I formed a more practical exit strategy: get good grades and go away to college as soon as possible. My childhood was centered on the theme of hanging in until I could find a way to escape.

Even today, although I understand what happened and the psychology behind it, it's difficult for me to be "disloyal" by speaking up about the abuse. Any perception that they loved me or cared for me is false. That's a hard truth to wrap my head around about my own parents. It's no wonder my brain tricked me into believing they loved me, and therefore their actions were somehow justified. It's a hard truth for others to grasp as well. I am offered platitudes such as, "They must have meant well," which feels like a punch in the gut, because they didn't. Others say things like this as a form of self-protection, as well. People don't want to admit to themselves that other human beings could be so horrible.

Aside from the logistical challenges, the battered wife, the weary co-worker, the terrorized child, all have huge psychological challenges to overcome in order to leave. Some may be so far down the rabbit hole of trauma bonding that they can't remember what it was like to be free. Some, like me, have to operate on instinct alone. There are a million reasons why it can be complicated to say no to abuse and walk away. It can mean cutting off everyone and everything you once knew, including your own thoughts, and forming an entirely different identity. It can come with great cost, and when someone is bonded to an abuser, it guarantees grief over the loss of a loved one, even if it is a one-sided love.

And yet, even one tiny step away from abuse and toward healing is absolutely worth it. Reclaiming one's life, even at the risk of losing it, is the very thing that gives life meaning and purpose. If you are in a dangerous situation, be wise. Seek counsel, get support, do what you need to do to be safe when it is time to make the leap. And then do it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are