Skip to main content

Scapegoat Upside: It Probably Saved My Life



I was the scapegoat in my family, and my older brother was the golden child. According to my abusive parents, he could do no wrong, and I could do no right. We were often pitted against each other, as narcissists tend to do with their children. My brother beat me up daily after school, and when I told my mom about it, she shrugged and made it my fault. If he complained about me, she immediately took his side and I was punished. My father alternately ignored or raged at both of us, but my mother made it abundantly clear that my brother was the favored one. She fawned over him like she fawned over my narcissistic father. In her world, males were to be enabled and blindly followed, and females, well, were in the way.

To them, I was the "annoying" one when I spoke up about things that weren't normal. I was the "over-emotional" one when I reacted to things that were not normal. I was the "rebellious" one when I challenged things that were not normal. When I did speak up, I was quickly labeled as "bad" and punished accordingly. My brother never spoke up. He never challenged their actions or behaviors. He was the "good" one because, unlike me, he never pointed out what was true.

It turns out, as the scapegoat, I had the advantage. Because I was willfully ignored or pushed away, I never bonded to my parents in the way my brother did. Because I had been rejected so much, I never depended on them for approval. I became fiercely independent and carved my own path. Granted, there are plenty of other things to heal when you have solid evidence that your parents hate you. But knowing I wasn't like them and vowing to never be like them was probably the best decision I ever made. It probably saved my life. Being the scapegoat meant I could be different. I accepted early on that I would never win their love or attention, so I put my efforts elsewhere. There has been a lot of pain along the way, but I embraced my "rebellious" nature to seek what's true. I am now fifteen years into a supportive, loving marriage and am raising kind, empathetic, children. By comparison, we are doing alright. If I had been the golden child, I believe my prognosis for repeating their abusive behavior would be much worse.

My brother, on the other hand, exhibits the same narcissistic and antisocial behaviors as my father, only worse. In addition to the Cluster B personality disorders, he was diagnosed bipolar with delusions of grandeur, but he rejects the diagnosis. Rather, he believes he is a prophet destined to usher in the End Times. Heartbreaking (and some horrifying) stories of his relationships with friends and romantic relationships trail behind him. He has never held a job. He is in serious legal and financial trouble. And these are only the things I know about. Even though I went no contact over ten years ago, the occasional trickle of information makes it back to me.

It has taken a lifetime for me to reject the labels put upon me as the scapegoat. I wasn't "annoying," I was a young child asking for an appropriate amount of attention for my age. I wasn't "over-emotional," but in fact, my sensitivity was exactly the trait that gave me the power to overcome my circumstance. I wasn't "rebellious." In fact, I was a really good kid. If I had been in any other family, I would have been greatly praised for how well I did in school, and helped out at home. My truth-telling would have been admired and respected. My voice would have been valued.

As the scapegoat, there is still plenty of work to do to heal and grow. Yet, because I was the scapegoat, I have the ability and the presence of mind to do so. The golden child doesn't always get that opportunity.


Comments

  1. Thank you for this. I have been unable to put my recent betrayal into words. Still reeling from a triangulation where my two sisters emotionally colluded w my husband. Resulting in horrific battery where I have been slandered, forced from my home,left destitute. Though Grace intervened EXCEPTIONALLY, I am crumbly and disoriented daily. After 6 months the greif and Ptsd symptoms are just emerging. Praying for resources to stabilze so I can stay safe and healthy. Peace and blessings to you. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are