Skip to main content

Minimization


"It wasn't that bad."
"What happened to me is nothing compared to what you're going through."
"Well, at least... {insert positive thought here}"
"Others have had it so much worse."
"It was a long time ago."
"Well, there's nothing I can do about it now."

Our brains and bodies are experts at self-protection, and minimization is one way we shield ourselves from the reality of abuse. Survivors of trauma can become so good at minimizing their experience, their own self-deception becomes a core identity. Minimization leads to denial and dissociation. Dissociation can lead to split personality disorders and other forms of psychosis.

There is another word for minimization. Lying.

As I have confronted and come to terms with the real, long term effects of psychological and child sexual abuse in my life, I am shocked how much I minimized the impact over the years. I lied to myself that I was fine. I lied to everyone else that nothing was wrong. Minimization, guilt, and shame was how my abusers silenced me into going along with their charade. And yet, as each layer of the onion is peeled away, more truths and more connections are allowed to emerge.

For a long time, I was confused about whether what happened was really abusive. I was so used to minimizing the elephant in the room, that I eventually tricked myself into thinking it was no longer there. I am no longer confused. I have rich clarity on the subject. I am mad woke. There is an elephant in the room called abuse, and it has stomped on every area of my life. And now I have 40 years of elephant shit to clean up. I really wish I hadn't waited so long.

Abusers use minimization as a manipulation tactic to silence their victims. Often it is the voice of the abuser in the mind of the victim saying, "It's not that bad," or "You're making mountains out of molehills." Usually there is a solid serving of guilt and shame to go along with it. One of the trickiest aspects of healing from abuse is to extract the voice of the abuser from the mind of the victim. Survivors are brainwashed and gaslighted into thinking those warped thoughts are their own. If a survivor believes that all they have to do is forgive and forget without fully realizing the damage, they continue to live their lives numb to truth and detached from deep relationships. They feel deeply threatened if anyone pokes the elephant. They will respond with fear, anxiety, and even anger if anyone mentions anything remotely elephant-like in their presence. They expend all their energy trying to maintain their own facade, then wonder why they feel drained. Elephant reduction is exhausting, futile work.

Lies separate us from what is good, beautiful, and true. Lies separate us from a relationship with God, others, and ourselves. Sometimes, the biggest hurdle to overcome is not the lies from our abusers, but the lies we told ourselves in the aftermath. When we minimize, we become accomplices. Sometimes, healing from abuse means owning up to the mess we made by minimizing what happened.

There is a saying, popular in 12 Step programs, that goes, "You're only as sick as your secrets." Minimization is a form of secret keeping. What might have started out as a necessary survival strategy often becomes debilitating as the years tick by. For survivors of early trauma, minimization is especially insidious. In my case, I am deprogramming forty years worth of "it's not that bad." But I am progressing, slowly. For me, the long term effects of minimization were impacting my mental, emotional, and physical health. I decided that I didn't want to be sick any more. I am healing, one exposed secret at a time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are