Skip to main content

How To Think


I've been thinking a lot lately about how we think. I have always been one to challenge the status quo, a habit I picked up from not going along with my abusers' bullshit. I've always been able to see situations from different perspectives, another trait developed as a result of abuse. In my critical thinking classes in college, I wanted to shout "Amen!" after every lecture. My favorite word to insert into every one of my English essays was "fallacy." I've fought back against brainwashing since birth, so sometimes it surprises me when someone falls for a glaringly obvious lie.

Take "fake news," for example. It's the quintessential manipulative bait and switch of our time.  Yes, there is "fake news" and it is a problem, but the ones purposely generating it are also the ones who coined the term and projected it onto the legitimate news outlets. I mentioned to someone recently how the most important classes students can take right now are critical thinking and media awareness. His response was, "Oh, I know. I mean with all this fake news, how can we really tell what's real or not?"

Now, the issue of critical thinking is nonpartisan, but this was someone who had been actively listening to FOX News Rush Limbaugh for years, grossly unaware of how he had been manipulated by fake news birther stories, feeding all his fears about "the other" right in his own living room. I explained that it is actually quite easy to track unbiased information, thanks to the Pew Research Center, and sites like Media Bias Fact Check. He grunted and walked away, certain that there was no solution to his problem. He valued his own skewed worldview over finding the correct information, which might challenge his firmly held beliefs. He was already conditioned to keep his TV turned to the same channel rather than to choose to think. Multiply him by several million people, and it's easy to see why we are in a cultural and political mess.

Critical thinking was a life and death skill for me to acquire. Perhaps this habit of constantly checking and rechecking what I believe and why, making sure that my thoughts are my own, makes me more aware than most. I'd like to think not. I'd like to think that everyone has the ability to think for themselves and make independent decisions after the collection of well-cured information. I'd like to think that most do not live in bondage to cultural and political lies. I'd like to think that most of us are neither dumb nor lazy about this, because if we are, we are in a major crisis that has far-reaching consequences on every level. But how many people are going through life allowing themselves to be told what to think without ever training themselves how to think?

Learning how to think does not require much time. A couple of basic points in critical thinking can be learned in an afternoon and reinforced through regular practice. The biggest stumbling block is desire. A desire for truth. A desire to change. A desire to challenge previously held beliefs. As an abuse survivor, I know what it feels like to live in fear of change, the fear of losing all that you know. But I also know how life-giving and essential it is to take that step and finally be free to choose my own thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, There Are Not Two Sides

  I was in a meeting where a mediator was trying her best to stay impartial to a situation where a large volume of well-documented verbal and emotional abuse had occurred. She was a trained professional, but professionally speaking, she didn't want to be in a position to take sides on the issue. She offered the worn-out platitude, "Well, there are two sides to every story..." I let it slide the first time she said it, but when she said it again, I stopped her. "Actually, when it comes to abuse, there are not two sides. There is abuse, and there is the recipient of abuse. The recipient of abuse is not at fault for the actions of the abuser." Her jaw dropped a moment, then she nodded slowly. She knew I was right, and in this moment, a light went on. The situation she was mediating was not about two people having a disagreement. It was about a serial abuser attacking someone else who had done nothing to provoke the attack. She couldn't stay impartial. It

The Difference Between Trauma and Anxiety

I've been living with the effects of complex trauma for a long time, but for many years I didn't know what it was. Off and on throughout my life, I've struggled with what I thought was anxiety and depression. Or rather, In addition to being traumatized, I was anxious and depressed.  All mental health is a serious matter, and should never be minimized. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, it's important and urgent to find the right support for you. No one gets a prize for "worst" depression, anxiety, trauma or any other combination of terrible things to deal with, and no one should suffer alone. With that in mind, there is a difference between what someone who has CPTSD feels and what someone with generalized anxiety or mild to moderate depression feels. For someone dealing with complex trauma, the anxiety they feel does not come from some mysterious unknown source or obsessing about what could happen. For many, the anxiety they feel is not rational

Why Psychological Trauma is More Damaging Than Physical Trauma

You were lied to on the playground.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Neuroscientists and psychologists have proven in spades that words hurt most of all. But first, let's establish that abuse of any kind is horrible, heinous, and deserving of attention and care. The impact of physical trauma ought never be minimized in order to shine a light on psychological trauma. Not only is all trauma valid, all perceptions of trauma are valid. Two people can experience the same event and have drastically different outcomes. One's experience isn't more or less valid than another. If it hurts, seek help. Physical trauma is visceral. There is hard, objective evidence of abuse. Most people don't question its validity. It's cut and dry. "If he hits you, you should leave." If you are beaten or shot in a senseless crime, no one will try to convince you it didn't really happen. Children who are physically abused are